Why Orange Durham Americans United will fight against HB2:
HB2 is a law in NC that requires people to use the bathroom that matches the gender on their birth certificate. The justification of the law was made as a “public safety issue.” Now the state of NC is on a list of place to boycott. The entire state.
- When NC Senator Buck Newton announced HB2 – he said “Keep NC Straight” showing that the law is not about protecting anyone, it is about vilifying the LGBTQ community. Divide and conquer.
- #ProtectThyNeighbor is a program within Americans United to stand up against hate and bigotry toward marginalized groups.
- When the law was championed, clergy from the religious right were present with law-makers to show their support. We are working to organize clergy in opposition to the law.
- Biblical literalist religious dogma requires a horrific view of any expression of
other than chastity.
- Biblical literalists reject the classical American commitment to equality of all citizens before the law and in society. Fundamentalist faith justifies an exclusivist and punitive attitude to LGBTQ citizens and works to codify that into law.
- HB2 is not only an attempt to deny basic rights of these citizens, it also wants to forbid local communities from protecting those rights. This is clearly a law based on fundamentalist religious dogma, a quasi establishment of religion.